IUCEA is an institution of the East African Community (EAC) responsible for the coordination of development of higher education and research in the community. One of the functions of IUCEA provided for in the IUCEA Act 2009 is to advise the EAC and Partner States on all higher education matters, especially matters related to the operationalization of EAC Common Higher Education Area. The mission of IUCEA is to encourage and develop mutually beneficial collaboration between Member Universities and between them and Governments and other organizations, both public and private.
Kyungdong University (KDU) is a private higher education institution located in the large town of Goseong-gun (population range of 50,000-249,999 inhabitants), Gangwondo. Officially accredited and recognized by the Ministry of Education, Korea. Kyungdong University Global Campus, Korea is a coeducational higher education institution. Kyungdong University Global Campus (KDU) is championing a new approach of internationalization of higher education while providing common academic platform of higher quality education amongst its collaborating centers established in Asia, in Europe and soon in East Africa.
IUCEA entered into an MOU with KDU and geared towards training of students from the East African Community in South Korea at KDU Global Campus and in East Africa in Academic collaboration Centers. The eventual goal of this cooperation is to promote sustainable development and ultimately contribute to EAC economic growth by increasing the availability of trained and qualified middle-level professional manpower in East Africa. This goal will be achieved through establishment of Academic Collaboration Centers in EAC Partner States and by facilitating the training in South Korea of students from EAC Partner States.
IUCEA therefore, wishes to announce a call for applications for undergraduate Scholarships to study at Kyungdong University, South Korea, commencing in September 2020 for study of Bachelor’s degree in; Smart Computing, Hotel Management and Business Administration.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 30 scholarships are available each year.
- Duration. The duration of this scholarship will be 4 years until completion of the under graduate programme, subject to satisfactory performance each year of study.
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue undergraduate degree programme.
- Study Areas: Scholarships are awarded to study Bachelors degree in; Smart Computing, Hotel Management and Business Administration.
- Language of instruction: English
- Scholarship Award: The scholarship is co-shared and comprises of:
- Kyungdong University component for;
- Tuition fees of USD 10,000 per year up to 4 years;
- Accommodation fee of USD 1,600 per year;
- IUCEA component for:
- Return Economy Class ticket at the beginning and end of every two years;
- Health Insurance of USD 200 per year
- Registration Fees of USD 200 after selection;
- Upkeep and other living expenses estimated at USD 200 per month.
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Scholarships are awarded to applicants (citizens and residents) of East African Community Partner States (5 students per Partner State including; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda) meeting the entrance requirements below;
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of and resident in any of East African Community Partner State (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda);
- Have completed the pre-university level with excellent results;
- Have completed pre-university level during the academic years of 2018 or 2019;
- Required subject areas and combinations for;
- Smart Computing- excellent performance in Mathematics,
- Hotel Management- excellent performance in any subject combination and
- Business Administration- excellent performance in any subject combination
for More information Read more
English Language Requirements: Be proficient in English. Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of proficiency in English. The admission requirements is: IELTS 5.5 or IBT 71.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit either electronically or hard copies of the following documents to IUCEA Office in Kampala, Uganda:
- Completed and signed Application Form
- Certified copies of Pre-university certificates and transcripts issued by the National Examination Agency in respective Partner States. Provisional Results will only be acceptable if endorsed by the Issuing National Agency.
- Recent passport photograph in colour of your full head and upper shoulders afixed on the Application form.
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae including names with contacts of two referees letters. One of the referees should be the Head of the Institution from where the student completed his/her secondary school
- Evidence of citizenship of a Partner State in the East African Community such as copy of National Identity Card or Passport;
Upon the submission of required documents, applicant’s performance, and available slots per Partner States will be the criteria for selection of eligible applicants.
The indicative timetable for the present Call is as follow:
|No||Stages||Responsible party||Date and time or indicative period|
|1||Publication of the Call||IUCEA/KDU||February 10th , 2020|
|2||Deadline for submitting applications||Applicants||May 15th , 2020|
|3||End of evaluation process||IUCEA/KDU||June 30th, 2020|
|4||Notification of scholarship offers and scholarship agreements||IUCEA/KDU||July 10th , 2020|
|5||Submission of signed scholarship agreement||Selected applicants||July 20th , 2020|
|6||Submission of required documents for Final Admissions||Selected applicants||July 20th , 2020|
|7||Issuance of Final Admissions and Visa requirements||IUCEA/KDU||July 31st , 2020|
|8||Issuance of Air Ticket||IUCEA||July 31st 2020|
|9||Visa processing||Selected applicants||August 3rd-15th , 2020|
|10||Departure for Kyungdong University Global Campus||IUCEA/KDU||August 24th , 2020|
|11||Starting date of the study programme||KDU||September 1st , 2020|
Candidates who have been awarded certificates by National Examination Entities which issue academic documents in languages other than English shall submit English translations of all supporting documentation including, but not limited to, Transcripts, and diplomas.
Academic levels or equivalence of the qualifications obtained from foreign institutions must be equated by the National Council or Commission for Higher Education in respective Partner State.
Applicants should adhere to following procedures:
- Download the relevant application form under the link “Application Form-IUCEA-KDU Scholarships”
- Submit the required documents indicated in the Application form above. Please combine into one PDF file. If necessary, you may zip the file to make it smaller for uploading.
Completed application form and all the above required documents MUST be submitted by 15th May 2020 either electronically as PDF documents (in one folder) or hard copies to IUCEA (see address hereafter).
Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA)
Kigobe Road, Plot M833, Kyambogo Area
P.O. Box 7110, Kampala
Republic of Uganda
For inquiries or any additional information, please contact Dr. Benedict Mtasiwa, Head of Exchange Linkages and Partnerships (email@example.com ) or Mr. Patrick Murenzi, Senior Exchange and Programmes Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).